We have a great opportunity to join Beazley’s successful international Cyber & Technology team. Our international portfolio handles worldwide ex-US business for large and complex risks across our full Cyber & Technology product offering. We are looking for an underwriter with extensive cyber experience who has strong technical ability, a service-focused mind-set and enjoys business production and marketing. Fluency in one or more European languages in addition to English is a must. The role can be based out of our offices in London, Barcelona or Paris.
Beazley is a flexible and innovative employer offering a friendly, collaborative and inclusive work environment. We welcome applications from all backgrounds.
Job description and person specification
Job Title: Underwriter – International Cyber & Technology
Division: Cyber & Executive Risk (CyEx)
Location: London, Paris or Barcelona
Key Relationships: Brokers, Underwriters, Claims staff, Coverholders, external Clients and Suppliers
Job Summary: To underwrite an International Cyber & Technology account within the Cyber & Technology team and provide counsel and advice on underwriting related issues. Provide technical expertise in this business area and maintain and improve market reputation of the Beazley brand.
- Develop and underwrite a profitable portfolio of International Cyber & Technology business as part of the Cyber & Technology team.
- Structure tailor-made solutions by considering the team underwriting parameters and underwriting policy and using underwriting knowledge and experience to win new business and retain existing.
- Monitor premiums, costs and claims ratios per contract and take corrective measures if necessary to ensure long term profitability at account level.
- Evaluate appropriate risk premium by considering the risk costs, reinsurance cessions, capital exposure as well as the underwriting and general administration costs to ensure profitability, using rating models as applicable.
- Monitor peer underwriters in their daily work to ensure profitability as well as efficient and cost effective administration of the International Cyber & Technology account.
- Monitor and supervise assistants in their daily work to ensure compliance with underwriting philosophy and policy and consistency within the team and CyEx.
- Comply with Beazley’s underwriting control standards for business written through Lloyd’s, our European insurance companies or Beazley’s internal MGAs.
- Develop a good working relationship with the claims managers on this class of business.
- Advise, assist and service clients on insurance and risk matters to ensure clients’ satisfaction.
- Foster positive relationships with clients to get a mutual understanding of both their and Beazley’s needs.
- Maintenance of good business relationships with brokers.
- Maintain awareness of overall Beazley product range and take advantages of opportunities to introduce other Beazley products to clients.
- Leverage networking opportunities within the business to develop standardised underwriting policy and best practice within Beazley.
- Develop best practice and disseminate business and class knowledge within the Cyber & Technology team.
- Work with peers within Cyber & Technology and CyEx to maximise business opportunities and profitability within the department. This will include but not be limited to sharing market information, marketing sources and cross selling opportunities.
- Share and gather knowledge within the Beazley Group to ensure dissemination of best practice and maximise business opportunities and profitability across the Group.
- Production of presentations and marketing literature as required.
- Production of business plans/research documents for the International Cyber & Technology account as required.
At Beazley we are committed to doing the right thing because it is the right thing to do. It is important that within all your interactions both internally and externally you adhere to this principle through adoption of Beazley’s core values and behaviours – PIED and Being Beazley.
- Adopt the Beazley culture of Professionalism, Integrity, Effectiveness and Dynamic that contributes to an internal environment of teamwork and promote a positive brand image and experience to our external customers.
- Display business ethics that uphold the interests of all our customers.
- Ensure all interactions with customers are focused on delivering a fair outcome, including having the right products for their needs.
- Carry out additional responsibilities as individually notified, either through your objectives or through the learning management system. These may include membership of any Beazley committees or working groups.
Education and Qualifications
- Minimum graduate level education
Skills and Abilities
- Proficient underwriting skills
- Accurate and numerate
- Computer skills – good working knowledge of MS Office, advanced Excel skills
- Strong analytical skills with attention to detail
- Able to communicate effectively with others, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to manage time, meet deadlines and prioritise
- Motivational skills
- Fluency in one or more European languages
Knowledge and Experience
- General commercial and financial knowledge
- Extensive experience in insurance industry
- Thorough knowledge of underwriting policy, philosophy and practice
- Advanced knowledge of underwriting processes and systems
- Client service experience
Aptitude and Disposition
- Result focused, self-motivated, flexible and enthusiastic
- Professional approach to interact successfully with managers/colleagues/external suppliers
- Team worker as well as able to work on own initiative
- Customer focused, with a strong ethic of service and fairness to the customer
- Achievement drive
- Analytical thinking
- Strategic thinking
- Service focus
- Team working
- Forward thinking
- Conceptual thinking