Great opportunity to join Beazley's vibrant and growing Munich office in a key position for our German expansion. We are looking for an underwriter with a strong broker network across Germany to contribute to the development of our etrading platform - myBeazley - in the region. The portfolio is focused on high volume, low severity SME Specialty Lines business, led by technology and management consultants PI, but including other products such as Cyber and D&O. Applicants must have good technical expertise, think strategically, enjoy business development and be able to work independently.
Beazley is a flexible and innovative employer, welcoming applications from all backgrounds.
Job description and person specification
Job Title: Underwriter - Private Enterprise, Germany
Division: Specialty Lines
Key Relationships: Brokers, underwriters, head of international specialty lines division, Broker Relations team, claims, coverholders, external clients and supplier
Job Summary: To assist with the planning and execution of the short and long term growth of a profitable SME Specialty Lines book in Germany with low exposure to large losses; to target and develop active deep relationships with select brokers; to raise market awareness of Beazley and ensure it presents itself as a highly professional organisation.
- Assist with the development and profitable growth of a high volume, low severity SME Specialty Lines book in Germany, led by technology and management consultants PI, but including other products such as Cyber and D&O.
- Establish and maintain excellent broker relationships, create a competitive differentiation, build the “brand” and facilitate the placement of new business with Beazley.
- Set and deliver submission and strike rate ratios for individual brokers.
- Schedule regular meetings with targeted brokers to discuss upcoming opportunities, gather feedback about products and ratings, and discuss overall performance.
- Maintain best in class technical knowledge of Beazley’s chosen segments.
- Participate in conferences and events and contribute articles to increase Beazley’s profile.
- Through broker contacts and technical knowledge, systematically provide feedback on the development of new segments, existing wordings, new wordings and innovative services.
- Find and select innovative service vendors.
- Contribute to the launch of an eTrading system to support brokers, sales and underwriting.
- Contribute to the design of a local wide package of covers including general liability, employers’ liability, property, business interruption, social media and data security covers.
At Beazley we are committed to doing the right thing because it is the right thing to do. It is important that within all your interactions both internally and externally you adhere to this principle through adoption of Beazley’s core values and behaviours – PIED and Being Beazley.
- Adopt the Beazley culture of Professionalism, Integrity, Effectiveness and Dynamic that contributes to an internal environment of teamwork and promote a positive brand image and experience to our external customers.
- Comply with Beazley procedures, policies and regulations including the code of conduct which incorporates the PRA and FCA Conduct Rules. Undertake training on Beazley policies and procedures as delivered by your line manager, the Talent Management development or assurance teams (compliance, risk, internal audit) either directly, via e-learning or the learning management system.
- Display business ethics that uphold the interests of all our customers.
- Ensure all interactions with customers are focused on delivering a fair outcome, including having the right products for their needs.
- Comply with any specific responsibilities necessary for your role as outlined by your line manager, the Talent Management or assurance teams (compliance, risk, internal audit) and ensure you keep up to date with developments in these areas. This may include, amongst others, Beazley’s underwriting control standards, Beazley’s claims control standards, other Beazley standards and customer relationship management.
- Carry out additional responsibilities as individually notified, either through your objectives or through the learning management system. These may include membership of any Beazley committees or working groups.
Education and Qualifications
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree education
Skills and Abilities
- Very strong business development and sales skills
- Effective relationship management skills with customer focussed approach
- Good understanding of the proposed suite of products with the ability to speak authoritatively both about the technical risks and Beazley’s appetite
- Ability to work independently for significant periods of time
- Accuracy and numeracy
- Computer skills – good working knowledge of MS Office
- Strong analytical skills with attention to detail
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to manage time, meet deadlines and prioritise
- Fluency in both German and English
Knowledge and Experience
- Track record in developing strong relationships with SME brokers in Germany
- High profile amongst the target broking community
- Extensive underwriting experience of Specialty Lines products
- Client service experience
Aptitude and Disposition
- Result focused, self-motivated, flexible and enthusiastic
- Professional approach to interact successfully with managers/ colleagues/ external suppliers
- Team worker as well as able to work on own initiative
- Customer focused, with a strong ethic of service and fairness to the customer
- Achievement drive
- Analytical thinking
- Strategic thinking
- Service focus
- Team working
- Forward thinking
- Conceptual thinking