LEAD, SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT INVESTMENT PARTNERSHIP (SDIP)
(Six-month maternity cover contract, March to September 2020)
The World Economic Forum, committed to improving the state of the world, is the International Organization for Public-Private Cooperation.
The Forum engages the foremost political, business and other leaders of society to shape global, regional and industry agendas.
Why we are recruiting
The Sustainable Development Investment Partnership (SDIP), a collaborative initiative of the World Economic Forum and the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), is a global neutral platform of more than 40 public, private and philanthropic institutions with the shared ambition to scale finance for the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and overcome the barriers hindering private investments in emerging and developing countries. Through the combination of national, regional and global activities, it works to facilitate systemic change in the development finance ecosystem.
As the SDIP Lead, you will lead a small, motivated team based in Geneva, South Africa and Singapore to promote public-private financing approaches to address global challenges in financing the SDGs via a systems leadership collaborative platform approach. Reporting lines and interactions The SDIP Lead with report to the Deputy Head of the Forum’s Centre for Global Public Goods and will collaborate with teams from across the organization and the Shaping the Future of Global Public Goods Platform.
Breakdown of main responsibilities
• 60% heading the Forum’s SDG financing platform, delivering impact at the global, regional and country level
- Enhance the Forum’s SDG financing influence and relevance in the global architecture, positioning the new strategic direction of the platform and increasing its impact externally and internally
- Shape the platform’s agenda in consultation with the steering group, donors and members, ensuring it supports and is fully aligned with the wider Global Public Goods objectives
- Lead the team efforts to deliver on its impact ambition by developing the Forum’s thought leadership on the latest development finance trends (through the Global Future Council on Development Finance), addressing regional financing challenges (through the SDIP Africa and ASEAN Hubs) and ensuring concrete action on bridging the SDG financing gap (through the Country Financing Roadmaps)
- Strengthen community engagement and the relationships with SDIP membership and establish strategic partnerships with senior stakeholders from the public, private and development sectors, to help mobilize development finance in emerging and developing countries
- Deliver state-of-the-art, high-impact meetings and events at a global, regional and country level
- Manage and strengthen the relationship with existing donors, ensuring alignment between the objectives under grant agreements and the platform’s overall strategy
- Establish relationships with new donors to secure the long-term financial stability of the initiative
- Oversee the strategy, resourcing, workplan development and scale up plans of the Regional Hubs in sub-Saharan Africa and ASEAN, including running in-country workshops and other local activities
- Raise the profile through media and on international panels, represent the Forum’s SDG financing efforts at public engagements and chair global efforts on financing the SDGs
• 30% managing the team, composed of three full-time staff in Geneva, two secondees at the regional level and two regional hub’s leads
- Guide and motivate team members to perform at peak levels with clear objectives and purpose
- Ensure high-quality delivery and concrete results balanced with a sense of team spirit and empowerment, aligned and on track with impact KPIs
- Ensure alignment between regional operations and global strategy as well as active engagement with other teams across the Forum
- Manage SDIP budget and ensure expense forecast is on track
• 10% integrating SDG financing/development finance across the Centre for Global Public Goods portfolio
- Act as in-house adviser and support to thematic initiatives of the Shaping the Future of Global Public Goods Platform (e.g. food, circular economy, climate)
- Contribute to Forum and Platform events and activities, such as the World Economic Forum Annual Meeting, regional meetings and the Sustainable Development Impact Summit.
The successful candidate will be assessed on
• Heading a team effort to position the SDIP and the Forum as an instrument piece of development finance architecture, leading to significant improvements in mobilizing development finance in emerging and developing countries
• Impact of the Forum’s work to influence the narrative on SDG financing through the voice of the Global Future Council on Development Finance, regional and country-level efforts, and SDIP members
• Satisfaction of SDIP members assessed on retention and expansion (diversity in sector, geography and size) of the membership and strategic agreements with other leading platforms and initiatives
Preferred requirements and experience
• Master’s degree in business, international finance, international relations, or relevant subject
• At least 10 years of work experience, with proven strength in managing teams and projects or platforms
• Proven track record and in-depth experience in sustainable development; specific prior experience in medium to large international organizations would be an advantage
• Demonstrated success in collaborative environments and in maintaining strong relationships; understanding of systems leadership and the platform approach
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
• Outstanding organizational and leadership skills
• Quick learner, self-starting, flexible and service-oriented team player
• Willing to work in a highly demanding environment and able to juggle multiple priorities
Why work at the Forum
We believe that progress happens by bringing together people from all walks of life who have the drive and influence to improve the state of the world by building awareness and cooperation, shaping mindsets and agendas and driving collective action. Join us and become a driver for positive change.