Established in 2003, with 7500 students, with Campuses in Abu Dhabi, Dubai and Al Ain, Abu Dhabi University (ADU) is a rapidly growing private university dedicated to meeting the educational needs in the UAE and neighboring countries. ADU is ranked among the best universities in the UAE and the Arab World.
International rankings demonstrate that we are an internationally competitive institution committed to academic excellence. We offer graduate and undergraduate programs that are academically challenging and career-oriented. ADU has an American style curriculum. Our educational programs enjoy prestigious quality kite marks, with national and international accreditations (e.g. Western Association of Schools and Colleges, US; AACSB; EQUIS; ABET; RIBA) and recognition in international university rankings (QS World University Rankings). We are now poised not only for expansion and growth in locations and programs but also enhancement of our international reputation.
With the appointment of Professor Waqar Ahmad FAcSS PhD, the previous Provost, as the third Chancellor of Abu Dhabi University, we are now looking for an outstanding and ambitious academic leader to fill this crucial role at an exciting juncture in our life. The new Provost will be an accomplished, strategic and operational leader, with experience gained ideally as Provost, Dean or similar roles in highly regarded universities. You will have strong achievements as a leader, be ambitious for the University, committed to student experience, success and employability, and be committed to strengthening our corporate partnerships and enhancing the University’s research reputation. The post is available immediately.
Academic Leadership of the University
• Sets the University's academic strategy and priorities and determines the institutional architecture for delivering outstanding taught programs with high academic integrity.
• Develops and delivers a sector leading and integrated, student learning, engagement, satisfaction, retention and employability strategy with clear goals and milestones.
• Acts as a key spokesperson and advocate for the culture, values, roles, and responsibilities of the University in and outside the University and leads the University’s efforts to enhance its external reputation, including in league tables.
• Drives accreditation with national and international institutions, including professional body accreditations at program level.
• Inculcates a culture of innovation, including technology enhanced and e-learning, in the development of taught program portfolio, and design and delivery of programs.
• Works with Director of Enrolment and other leaders to deliver targets for growth in student numbers and necessary growth in taught programs.
• Ensures that the University contributes to knowledge creation and exchange that impacts on economy and society as well as contributing to our taught programs.
• Strengthens links with corporate partners to develop joint provision, support student internships and enhance graduate employability.
Leadership of people and processes
• Acts as champion of student engagement and student voice in and outside the University.
• Leads and directs Deans to meet/exceed enrolment targets, retentions rates, and graduation rates for all Colleges, and ensures the mission driven academic and co-curricular objectives are achieved.
• Jointly with the Vice Chancellor Administrative and Financial Affairs and Directors of services, ensures that services support the University’s academic imperatives.
• Works closely with the Chancellor to provide overall internal executive leadership to, and support for, the faculty, staff, and their respective systems of support in academic affairs through the creation, revision, and/or removal of relevant policies.
• Represents the University externally, so as to maintain and enhance the University’s reputation and collaborative networks, including (jointly with internal stakeholders) a robust international strategy.
• Oversees and guides the creation and implementation of the annual budgets and operational plans for academic affairs and assists in achieving the University’s institutional objectives and strategic plan.
• Research PhD from a reputable University.
• Minimum 9 years’ experience of senior leadership, at least part at Dean or Provost or equivalent level.
• Previous research professor experience.
• Demonstrated successful experience in progressively responsible teaching, administrative and educational leadership positions in a higher educational institution setting.
• Outstanding champion for student success with demonstrable achievements.
• Experience of engaging with external stakeholders eg government departments, public and private sectors, higher education institutions, charitable sector and donors.
• Outstanding written and spoken communication skills in English are required.
• Additionally, knowledge of Arabic would be an advantage.
• High Emotional Intelligence.
• Outstanding leadership and persuasive skills.
• Ability to engage with students as key stakeholders.