(Editorial & Translation Services)
IB, The Hague, The Netherlands
Looking to work with internationally minded professionals that share the same sense of purpose and passion of improving the world through education? If so, then the International Baccalaureate® (IB) may have the ideal opportunity for you!
The IB provides all its services and documents in English, French and Spanish and a limited set of documents in additional languages (Arabic, Chinese, German, Japanese). The Multilingual Editorial Production department (MEP) provides editorial, production and translation services to the whole of the organization to support the IB’s external stakeholders in the IB languages. Within MEP, the Quality Manager supervises all Language Leads and the Lead Content Development Editor to ensure the provision of fit-for-purpose editorial and translation services. The job holder sets the quality assurance framework for all linguistic activities, ensuring quality standards and processes are developed and adequately and consistently implemented in all languages, so all IB stakeholders receive equivalent services in all supported languages.
- Sets the quality assurance framework for all editorial and translation work in the department, in order to ensure consistency of practices across languages and that the content edited and/or translated by the department is always fit for purpose.
- Creates written recommendations for workflow and levels of intervention in the different types of content.
- Writes approaches to editing, translation, revision, consultancy and proofing to include style, faithfulness and treatment of cultural references.
- Leads the terminology activities in the department, ensuring glossaries and terminology databases in all working and access languages are adequately maintained.
- Leads and oversees the creation, dissemination and use of house style guides and similar guidance documents in all IB languages to ensure quality and consistency of IB publications and documentation.
- Provides the team of content development editors and linguists with the coaching and development activities necessary to ensure an effective and efficient team and proper execution of activities and plans
External vendors management
- Works with the Language Leads to ensure adequate provision of language resources (including coverage of language regional variations and areas of expertise).
- Develops the recruitment strategy for freelance editors and linguists, devising tests and assessment criteria to evaluate their professional skills.
- Develops standard templates to brief and give feedback to freelancers.
- Supervises quality assurance work in languages with no internal language lead.
- Organizes and leads the development of IB staff training workshops on aspects such as house style, terminology, proofing and editing
- Organizes and leads the development of onboarding and upskilling training for freelancers
- University degree (at least MA) in translation, linguistics, publishing, communications or another relevant domain
- Thorough understanding and experience of quality assurance in a multilingual publishing or localization environment
- Solid experience as a people manager in an in-house setting (4+ years)
- Proven translation, revision and editing skills honed through extensive experience in the industry (8+ years)
- Proven ability to engage effectively and collaboratively with professionals at all levels of the organization to build a cohesive editorial and translation strategy
- Sound experience in terminology management
- Fully conversant with computer assisted translation tools and terminology management tools; familiarity with content management systems and project management systems
- Able to set and monitor standards across languages
- Excellent organizational, communication and interpersonal skills
- Detail oriented, service and client focused.
- Excellent knowledge of English, French and Spanish.
About the IB:
The IB is a leading global not-for-profit educational organization that offers curriculum and assessment to almost 5,000 schools worldwide to children aged 3-19, as well as comprehensive professional development to support schools and educators. Our educational programs encourage students across the world to be active, compassionate, and lifelong learners who understand that other people, with their differences, can also be right.
We are seeking talented individuals who thrive in a global and dynamic environment with amazing benefits and opportunities for career growth and development. This is the place where your ideas are welcome and global perspectives are encouraged. Be a part of an organization that wants to make the world a better place. Apply now!
* The International Baccalaureate is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer*
* This job is offered on local terms and conditions *